Image: piyaphantawong / FreeDigitalPhotos.net
Dateline NBC’s Chris Hansen went undercover to investigate who’s testing your dietary supplements for safety. Some supplements may not be as safe as you think.
Did you know? …
- Vitamins and supplements are not regulated by the Federal Drug Administration (FDA).
- Laboratory tests have proved that not all supplements are safe.
- Sometimes what’s on the label is not what’s in the bottle.
- Some vitamins contain harmful substances.
Each video starts with a short commercial message.
Sorry, I have no control over that.
And I do not endorse any of the advertised products.
Scary, isn’t it!
I’m proud to be associated with Shaklee Corporation. In 1956, Dr. Forrest C. Shaklee founded the company based on Living in Harmony with Nature® and committed to developing products to improve the health of people and the planet.
– and the quality and science behind them –
are unmatched in the industry.
Ten Key Steps that we take to ensure that Shaklee supplements are the best in the marketplace:
1. Shaklee conducts over 100,000 tests annually to ensure the safety and efficacy of our products.
2. Each and every lot of Shaklee Products is 100% tested to ensure and guarantee that each and every ingredient that is part of our label claims is present in the appropriate amounts.
3. All ingredients in Shaklee products are qualified under the incredibly stringent Shaklee protocol, unique in the industry, which tests for up to 350 chemical contaminants, including pesticides, herbicides, heavy metals, solvent residues, etc.
4. Our Shaklee Scientists create formulations so that the key active ingredients are included at clinically efficacious levels, often significantly higher than many companies in the market.
5. Each product is formulated with nutritional ingredients that have been extensively studied to confirm safety and efficacy. Our products do not follow “fads,” but incorporate scientific and/or epidemiologic evidence of need and benefit.
6. Shaklee employs advanced delivery systems to enhance bio-availability – and these systems are tested to confirm their nutrient delivery advantages.
7. All ingredients must be acceptable from the standpoint of the Shaklee philosophy, as well as detailed scrutiny as to their safety. We do not simply accept the Certificate of Analysis that many other companies accept, but rather retest for contaminants to confirm the Certificate of Analysis is accurate.
8. Shaklee has an unwavering commitment to avoid the use of artificial flavors, sweeteners, and added preservatives. We use only non-genetically modified soy protein.
9. Shaklee developed many of the standards and protocols for manufacturing that are now referred to as Good Manufacturing Practices (GMPs).
10. Ongoing proof of our product performance is demonstrated by:
- Over 100 scientific publications, 90-plus in peer-reviewed journals
- The Landmark Study, the only study of its kind, which showed that people who took Shaklee supplements over a period of 20 years had markedly better health than both single-multivitamin and nonsupplement users.
- Shaklee products powering athletes to win 125 medals
- Shaklee products fueling world explorers, 7 of Time-Life’s “Greatest Adventures of All Time,” and NASA Shuttle astronauts with a special rehydration product (called Astro-Ade)
Add to this list our accomplishments and awards in the area of environmental leadership and responsibility, and you will see why I am truly proud to be part of this company, where integrity, quality and social responsibility are our standards, and where making people and the planet healthier is our mission.
Shaklee is all about helping people take control of their future health by virtue of their choices today. My 16 years as a practicing family physician led me to believe even more strongly that prevention is where the future of medicine must go. Research confirms that nutrition, weight control, and wise supplementation can powerfully impact your vitality today and your health in the future, and I believe that we can redefine wellness in the coming years. Thank you for all that you are doing to share Shaklee products and the Shaklee Difference with so many. Together we are making a BIG difference in the health of the world!
Dr. Jamie McManus, MD, FAAFP
Chair of Medical Affairs, Health Sciences and Education for Shaklee Corporation